2019 SEO Tips for Attorney WebsitesThis tutorial will show you proven strategies to improve your law firm’s website search engine optimization and help rank your website higher.
What Does It Take to Rank an Attorney’s Website on Google?Today we live in the “Google” age so it is important to understand how Google’s website ranking algorithm works and tailor your marketing strategy to work with it. Using a custom SEO strategy for your legal niche will make your online marketing efforts stand out in a very competitive market and above all increase your ROI. Here is a list of some of the search keywords that lawyers may use:
- IRS tax lawyer Miami, FL
- Phoenix DUI lawyer
- Oregon personal injury lawyer
- New York family court law lawyers
- Real estate law firm attorney in Sandy, Oregon
- Los Angeles maritime attorney
- Top Scottsdale intellectual property attorney
- Park City, UT LLC formation attorney
- Tucson immigration attorney consultation
- Best criminal defense attorney near me
- Divorce lawyers in Atlanta, free consultation
Local SEOThere are a handful of elements that will help you run a successful law firm SEO campaign. Each of these is important and many of them play off one another to obtain the best possible SEO results. These techniques aren’t simply optional they are essential if you want your firm to show up on page one of a Google search.
Let’s Start With Location:
What is Your Legal Specialty + What is Your location?This mix will determine how competitive your ranking in Google will be. In places such as Albuquerque, there is space for growth, but bigger cities are crowded so you will need to find more accurate and unique keywords to help you rank higher. After this is figured out, you need to determine how you should model your content. More content is outranking less content so be sure you are constantly updating your FAQ’s, blog and site content using the keywords you have chosen. Use your current and past client reviews, video reviews and answers to legal questions. Google Keyword Planner is a free tool you can use to find good keywords. Write titles with persuasive terms such as top, best, rated, cheap, and free to describe your content. The legal niche contains a lot of sentiments that can be used in your content. Play with them in a respectful and professional way.
How to Use Backlinks on Your WebsiteUse lots of relevant links. For instance, if I’m a property attorney in Portland, I wouldn’t want just any backlinks to my site. I want backlinks to my site from websites like:
- Sites about Portland
- Sites about Oregon
- Sites about Portland laws
- Sites about Portland intellectual property laws
5 Custom SEO Actions to Use on Attorney Websites
Specific Actions to Improve Your Google Ranking
1. Create a user-focused websiteThis means making it easy for clients to navigate, read and find relevant information. Be sure you are answering questions like what, why, where and who. Remember, your website is talking to your client. They don’t understand legal jargon or overly complicated words. They want easy, sweet and short answers. In general, people are very visual so use graphics, infographics, and pictures to explain or showcase important terms, issues or topics. Use images to break text and complement content. Finally, be sure that navigation is simple by having an easy-to-use menu. It should take no more than 2 clicks for your visitors to get to any page, drop-down menus are the best. Use the top menu to easily switch between languages or locations.
2. Review Website StructureBe sure every page on your website has a purpose and provides value. Get rid of pages that don’t, or fix them and boost their performance. An example of zombie pages are:
- Archives (usually generated by WordPress in blogs)
- Unused blogs, categories pages
- Image and media links that are unused
- Old press releases that are not relevant today
- Thin content pages with less than 50 words
3. Boost Your Website SpeedSelect a premium hosting service plan such as Siteground. It is our recommended hosting solution because it is one of the fastest and most secure. It comes with SG Optimizer which will increase the loading speed of your website. We cover more about website optimization here: Tips to Optimize a WordPress Website in 2019.
4. Create “Law Practice” PagesA law practice page is the second most important page after the home page. You need to showcase your specialty or main specialty within the law. Be sure they are short, easy to read, have images, use subheaders and bullets.
Your practice must be front and center on your home page.
Try to use one practice per page. Your clients will understand and navigate to the topic they are looking for. Remember, try to only target 1 or 2 keywords per page so each page on your site uses different keywords.